Pet owners know that accidents happen, and when they do, it’s important to have the right tools to clean them up. One of the most challenging messes to clean is pet urine on carpets. Not only is it difficult to remove the stain, but the odor can linger for days, making it unpleasant for both pets and humans. That’s where a portable carpet cleaner for pets comes in.
At our testing facility, we spent hours researching and testing different portable carpet cleaners for pets to identify the best options on the market. After considering factors like cleaning power, size, weight, and cleaning solution, we’ve narrowed down the list to the top performers.
Best Portable Carpet Cleaner for Pets
What We Like
- The powerful suction, scrubbing action, and professional cleaning solution combine to remove stubborn pet stains and embedded dirt.
- The large capacity 3/4 gallon tank allows for cleaning more area without the need to empty and fill the tank frequently.
- The included pet tools, such as the stain trapper tool and the tough stain tool, make it easy to clean carpets, upholstery, stairs, area rugs, and more.
What We Don’t Like
- The hose can be difficult to maneuver in tight spaces.
- The machine can be heavy to carry up and down stairs.
- The price point may be higher than other portable carpet cleaners on the market.
What We Like
- The Bissell Little Green Pet Deluxe Portable Carpet Cleaner is lightweight and easy to use, making it perfect for cleaning up messes almost anywhere.
- With its powerful suction, this carpet cleaner can easily remove tough pet spots and stains from carpets, upholstery, car interiors, and more.
- The Bissell Little Green Pet Deluxe Portable Carpet Cleaner is versatile and can be used on multiple surfaces throughout the home.
What We Don’t Like
- The hose length is only 4 feet, which can be limiting if you need to clean in hard-to-reach places.
- The tank capacity is 48 oz, which means you may need to refill it frequently if you’re cleaning a large area.
- While the included tools and formula are helpful, you may need to purchase additional cleaning solutions if you have a lot of pet messes to clean up.
What We Like
- Every purchase supports homeless pets through the BISSELL Pet Foundation
- Powerful suction removes tough pet spots and stains
- Portable and versatile design for use on multiple surfaces
What We Don’t Like
- Some users have reported that the cleaning solution can run out quickly
- The machine can be loud while in use
- The 4-foot hose may be too short for some users
What We Like
- The automatic cleaning feature allows you to clean up messes with just the push of a button, making it easy and convenient to use.
- The two preset cleaning modes (quick clean and deep clean) give you the flexibility to choose the best cleaning option for your specific needs.
- The unique spiral brushing feature delivers water and cleaning formula deep into carpet fibers and gently scrubs for permanent pet-stain removal.
What We Don’t Like
- The machine can be a bit loud when in use, which may be a concern for some users.
- It may take a few passes to fully clean tough, set-in stains.
- The machine is a bit heavy, which may make it difficult to move around for some users.
What We Like
- The powerful suction lifts stains quickly and easily.
- Weighing less than 11lbs, this spot cleaner is lightweight and portable.
- The dual tanks make it easy to fill and empty for a cleaning session, and the compact design allows for easy storage under a sink or in a closet.
What We Don’t Like
- The suction isn’t as strong as some other models we’ve tried.
- The larger head is pretty much useless because it doesn’t have enough suction to support any more surface area than the small head already provides.
- The provided detergent is not as strong as some other brands, but the actual machine is more powerful and removes excess liquid from the carpet much better than some other models.
When shopping for a portable carpet cleaner to effectively tackle pet stains and maintain a clean living environment, it’s essential to consider certain key features that can make a significant difference in the performance and convenience of the cleaner. Here are the features you should look for:
The suction power of a portable carpet cleaner determines its ability to lift dirt, debris, and moisture from the carpet fibers. Opt for a model with strong suction to ensure efficient stain removal and faster drying times.
The size of the water and solution tanks matters. A larger tank means fewer refills, which is especially beneficial when cleaning larger areas. However, balance tank size with the overall weight of the cleaner for ease of use.
Attachments and Tools:
A variety of attachments and tools enhance the versatility of a portable cleaner. Look for models that come with specialized pet stain tools, upholstery attachments, and brushes designed to target different types of stains.
A longer power cord allows you to cover more ground without constantly searching for power outlets. Ensure the cord length is sufficient for your cleaning needs, especially if you’re dealing with larger areas.
Portability and Weight:
Since the main advantage of portable cleaners is their maneuverability, consider their weight and design. Choose a model that’s lightweight and features ergonomic handles for comfortable use.
The quality and design of the brushes play a crucial role in agitating and loosening dirt from carpet fibers. Look for models with rotating brushes or motorized brush heads for effective cleaning.
Cleaning Solution Compatibility:
Check whether the cleaner is compatible with various types of cleaning solutions, including pet-specific formulas. Some models might require you to use the manufacturer’s recommended solution to maintain warranty coverage.
Effective water extraction is vital to prevent over-saturation of the carpet, which can lead to mold and mildew growth. Look for cleaners that offer strong extraction capabilities.
Ease of Use:
Intuitive controls, clear instructions, and easy assembly are important for a user-friendly experience. Consider how straightforward it is to fill the tanks, adjust settings, and empty dirty water.
Quick drying is essential to prevent mold growth and maintain the integrity of your carpets. Models with efficient water extraction and airflow mechanisms tend to offer faster drying times.
Read reviews and check the reputation of the brand to ensure that the portable cleaner is built to last and can withstand regular use.
A good warranty provides peace of mind in case of any defects or issues with the portable cleaner. Look for models that come with a reasonable warranty period.
Consider the noise level of the cleaner, especially if you have pets that might be sensitive to loud sounds.
Before making a purchase, read user reviews to get insights into real-world performance and any potential drawbacks of the model you’re considering.
By carefully considering these key features, you can choose a portable carpet cleaner that meets your specific needs and helps you effectively manage pet stains and maintain a clean home environment.
How to Use a Portable Carpet Cleaner Effectively
Using a portable carpet cleaner effectively involves a few simple steps:
- Preparation: Clear the area of any obstacles and vacuum the carpet to remove loose dirt and debris.
- Fill the Tank: Fill the cleaner’s tank with the recommended cleaning solution and water according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Choose Attachments: Select the appropriate attachment for the type of stain or mess you’re dealing with.
- Start Cleaning: Turn on the machine and press the trigger to release the cleaning solution. Slowly glide the cleaner over the stained area, making sure to overlap your strokes.
- Suction: Release the trigger and go over the area again, this time without releasing the solution. This will help remove excess moisture and dirt.
- Drying Time: Allow the carpet to dry completely before walking on it. Proper ventilation can help expedite the drying process.
Tips for Maintaining Your Carpets Between Cleanings
- Vacuum regularly to prevent dirt and pet hair from embedding into the fibers.
- Use pet-friendly sprays to discourage pets from soiling in the same areas.
- Blot fresh stains immediately with a clean cloth to prevent them from setting.
- Rotate furniture to avoid concentrated wear and tear on specific spots.
- Groom your pets regularly to minimize shedding and dander.
Comparing Portable Carpet Cleaners vs. Professional Services
Deciding between using a portable carpet cleaner and hiring professional carpet cleaning services depends on several factors, including the extent of the cleaning required, your budget, and your personal preferences. Each option has its advantages and limitations, and understanding the differences can help you make an informed decision.
Portable Carpet Cleaners:
- Convenience: Portable carpet cleaners offer on-demand cleaning. You can address small stains and spills immediately, without waiting for a scheduled appointment.
- Cost-Effective: While the initial investment in a portable cleaner is required, it can save you money in the long run, especially if you frequently deal with pet messes.
- Quick Cleanups: These cleaners are ideal for quick cleanups after accidents, which can prevent stains from setting and odors from becoming entrenched.
- DIY Control: With a portable cleaner, you have direct control over the cleaning process, allowing you to target specific areas and stains.
- Regular Maintenance: Regular use of a portable cleaner can help maintain the cleanliness of your carpets between professional cleanings.
- Limited Coverage: Portable cleaners are best suited for spot cleaning and addressing localized stains. They may not be efficient for cleaning large areas or heavily soiled carpets.
- Deep Cleaning: While portable cleaners can remove surface stains and dirt, they might not offer the same level of deep cleaning as professional equipment.
Professional Carpet Cleaning Services:
- Deep Cleaning: Professional services utilize powerful equipment that can penetrate deep into the carpet fibers, removing hidden dirt, allergens, and tough stains.
- Expertise: Trained technicians have the knowledge and experience to choose the right cleaning methods and solutions for different types of carpets and stains.
- Time Savings: Professionals can clean large areas efficiently, saving you time and effort compared to using a portable cleaner for an extensive cleaning session.
- Advanced Equipment: Professional equipment often offers superior suction power and extraction capabilities, resulting in a more thorough clean and faster drying times.
- Stain Removal: For stubborn or old stains that are difficult to remove, professional services have access to specialized stain removal techniques and products.
- Cost: Professional services can be more expensive, particularly for larger areas or frequent cleanings.
- Appointment Dependence: Scheduling an appointment might mean waiting for the cleaning crew to arrive, which might not be ideal for addressing immediate messes.
- Disruption: Professional cleaning can disrupt your daily routine, as you might need to clear furniture and make space for the cleaning process.
The choice between using a portable carpet cleaner and professional services depends on your specific needs and circumstances. If you want quick and convenient spot cleaning and are willing to invest in a portable cleaner, it can be a practical solution for maintaining your carpets between professional cleanings.
On the other hand, if you require deep cleaning, have extensive stains, or want a comprehensive and expert cleaning experience, professional services might be the better option. Ultimately, a combination of both approaches, with regular professional cleanings and the use of a portable cleaner for ongoing maintenance, can help keep your carpets in optimal condition while accommodating your lifestyle and budget.
Choosing the Right Cleaning Solution for Pet Stains
When it comes to dealing with pet stains, choosing the right cleaning solution is a crucial step in ensuring effective stain removal and odor elimination. Not all cleaning solutions are created equal, and using the wrong one can potentially make the stain worse or leave behind lingering odors. Here are some important considerations when selecting a cleaning solution for pet stains:
- Enzymatic Formulas: Enzymatic cleaners are specifically designed to break down organic matter, such as pet urine, feces, and vomit. These formulas contain enzymes that target the molecules causing the stain and odor. They are highly effective in neutralizing odors at their source, rather than masking them with fragrances.
- Stain Type: Different types of pet stains require different approaches. For instance, urine stains need a cleaner that can effectively break down uric acid crystals, while vomit stains may require a cleaner that can dissolve proteins. Read the labels carefully to ensure the cleaner is suitable for the specific type of stain you’re dealing with.
- Fragrance and Residue: While a pleasant fragrance might seem appealing, it’s important to choose a cleaning solution that doesn’t leave behind any residue. Residue can attract dirt and make the area prone to future stains. Look for cleaners that are formulated to leave no residue behind after use.
- Safety for Pets and Humans: Since pets and humans share living spaces, it’s essential to choose a cleaning solution that is safe for both. Opt for solutions that are non-toxic, free from harsh chemicals, and don’t pose any health risks to your furry companions or family members.
- Surface Compatibility: Consider the type of surface you’re cleaning. Different surfaces like carpets, upholstery, and hard floors may require different cleaning solutions to prevent damage. Make sure the cleaning solution is suitable for the surface you intend to clean.
- Ease of Use: Some cleaning solutions come in ready-to-use spray bottles, while others might require dilution. Choose a product that aligns with your preferences and provides clear instructions for application.
- Reviews and Recommendations: Before purchasing a cleaning solution, it’s a good idea to read reviews and seek recommendations from other pet owners. Real-life experiences can provide valuable insights into the effectiveness of a particular product.
- Testing: Before applying a new cleaning solution to a visible area, always test it in an inconspicuous spot to ensure it doesn’t cause any discoloration or damage to the surface.
- Manufacturer’s Instructions: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions closely for the best results. Overusing or underusing a cleaning solution can impact its effectiveness.
- Storage: Properly store your chosen cleaning solution out of reach of pets and children. Ensure the lid is tightly closed to prevent accidental spills.
By taking the time to choose the right cleaning solution for pet stains, you can effectively address messes while keeping your home clean, fresh, and safe for both your pets and your family. Remember that prevention is key – the quicker you address a stain, the easier it is to remove, and the less likely it is to leave a lasting mark or odor.
Can I use a regular carpet cleaner for pet stains?
While regular carpet cleaners might work to some extent, it’s recommended to use a portable carpet cleaner designed specifically for pet stains. These cleaners often come with specialized tools and formulas that are effective in removing pet-related messes.
How often should I clean my carpets if I have pets?
The frequency of carpet cleaning depends on factors like the number of pets you have, their shedding habits, and any accidents they might have. Generally, it’s a good idea to clean high-traffic areas and spots prone to accidents every 2-3 months. However, you might need to clean more frequently if you have multiple pets or if your pet is prone to accidents.
Are portable carpet cleaners as effective as professional services?
Portable carpet cleaners can be quite effective for regular maintenance and spot cleaning. They are designed to tackle specific stains and odors, making them a convenient option for pet owners. However, for deep and thorough cleaning, occasional professional cleaning services might still be necessary.
Can I use homemade cleaning solutions with my portable carpet cleaner?
Many portable carpet cleaners recommend using their specific cleaning solutions to ensure optimal performance. While some homemade solutions might work, it’s essential to check the manufacturer’s guidelines before using any alternative cleaning solutions. Using the wrong solution could potentially damage the machine or void the warranty.
What should I do if my pet soils the same spot repeatedly?
If your pet consistently soils the same spot, it’s important to address the underlying issue, which might be behavioral or medical. Clean the soiled area thoroughly with a portable carpet cleaner designed for pet messes. Additionally, consider using deterrents to prevent your pet from returning to the same spot.
Are there any safety precautions I should follow while using a carpet cleaner?
Yes, safety is essential when using any cleaning equipment. Make sure to read the user manual before operating the machine. Use the recommended cleaning solutions and follow proper dilution instructions. Also, keep pets and children away from the cleaning area until it’s fully dry to prevent slips and falls.
Can I clean upholstery and furniture with a portable carpet cleaner?
Many portable carpet cleaners come with attachments designed for cleaning upholstery and furniture. These attachments allow you to extend the use of your cleaner beyond just carpets. However, always check the manufacturer’s guidelines to ensure that the cleaner is suitable for use on different surfaces.
What is the average lifespan of a portable carpet cleaner?
The lifespan of a portable carpet cleaner can vary based on the brand, usage, maintenance, and build quality. On average, a well-maintained portable carpet cleaner can last anywhere from 3 to 5 years or more.
Will using a carpet cleaner remove allergens caused by pet dander?
Portable carpet cleaners with strong suction and efficient cleaning capabilities can help remove pet dander and allergens from carpets to some extent. However, for comprehensive allergen removal, consider using a vacuum with a HEPA filter and regular grooming and bathing for your pets.
Can I leave the cleaning solution in the cleaner’s tank between uses?
It’s generally recommended to empty the cleaning solution tank after each use. Leaving the solution in the tank for extended periods can lead to clogs, bacterial growth, and unpleasant odors. Emptying and rinsing the tank after each use helps keep your cleaner in good condition.
After extensive research and testing, we have identified the top portable carpet cleaners for pets. These products have proven to be effective in removing pet stains and odors, as well as being easy to use and maintain.
Overall, we recommend choosing a portable carpet cleaner that suits your specific needs and budget. Whether you have a small apartment or a large home, there is a portable carpet cleaner out there that can help keep your carpets clean and fresh.